Tembo is a English speaking branch in the Johannesburg North area, we shot a variety of shooting tables on our very own 300m shooting range. All the tables that Tembo shoot are as set by S.A. Hunters head office. The level of professionalism and attention to safety that Tembo shooting ensure that all members, young and old, have a better understanding of the ethics of shooting and are better equipped with the knowledge both in the handling and safe use of their firearms on the shooting range and hunting field.
Tembo shooting days take place on the third Saturday of the month at the Rooikraal Shooting Range. A notification email will be sent out; this article will explain the type of shooting tables to be shot on the day.
Tables that members of Tembo shooting do on the range are:
- Big bore Exercise
- Black back jackel exercise
- Bushveld excursive
- Plains game exercise
- Warthog exercise
- Skilled hunter exercise
- Rimfire exercise
- Impala shooting exercisewithout rest
- Hunting Handgun exercise
- Dedicated hunter exercise
Click here for detail on the above tables
We shoot three tables on a given shooting day and all tables are scored in accordance with the rules as set out by S.A. Hunter head office shootest that achieve a high score can be awarded Bronze Silver or Gold shooting badges depending on the discipline shot. Tembo encourages it members to always do well on their shooting and when members show consistent high results with shooting they are picked for the shooting teams that go to compete against other branches in national shooting competions.
RooiKraal Shooting Range
RooiKraal Shooting Range is located at S 26°22’47, 68 E 28°16’06, 19. This is the coordinates for the 300m range this is Tembo’s official range and all of Tembo’s shoots are conducted on this range.
Range Fees: Tembo Charges members R50-00 for the use of the range. This allows members ONE TARGET PER SHOOTING TABLE and the use of the range for the day. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS DAY FEE WILL INCREASE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
Shooting Coordinator Contact details:
Cell 082 378 9924
Transportation of firearms to the RooiKraal Range:
All members that partake in the TEMBO shooting day MUST adhere to the following rules:
- The rifle bolt MUST BE IN THE OPEN POSITION AND A RED/ORANGE SAFETY FLAG inserted in place of the bolt. Take the bolt out of the rifle completely if you don’t have a red safety flag and place it next to the rifle in the bag.
- All Rifles must be brought to the range in a RIFLE BAGN
- No rifle is to be brought to the range loaded with ammunition.
- Please ensurethat the firearms to be used are zeroed in for the respective distances.
- Rifles must be fully assembled (no rifles are too brought to the range in kit form as the assembly of these firearms delays the days preceding.
- All Hunting Handguns or Secondary Hand Guns over and above your personal defence fire arm that are brought to the Range must be unloaded and placed in a Handgun bag or suitable carry case that can be closed before being brought to the range .
07:15 – 07:20 AM members arrive at the range.We meet at the white shipping container were we unpack frames and targets these are carted by members vehicles to the back stop.
07:25 – 07:40 AM ALL MEMBERS help with mounting of Frames and taping of targets to frames and the removal of the frames at the end of all shoots.
07:40 – 07:55 AM ALL MEMBERS and NON SHOOTERS complete the Range Register and Indemnity Form and the day fee is paid to the Range Officer on duty as members complete the forms.
07:55 – 08:00 AM Enforcements for the day and brief rundown of the tables to be shot on the day will be explained by the Range Officer of the day
08:00 – 08:05 AM all members move to designated distance marker and await further instructions from Range Officer.
08:05 – 08:50 AM first table is shot.
08:50 – 09:00 AM Secondtable’s targets are taped to the frames and members move to designated distance marker.
09:00 – 09:50 AM Second table is shot.
09:50 – 10:00 AM Third table targets are taped to the frames and members move to designated distance marker.
10:00 – 10:50 AM Third table is shot.
10:50 – 11:10 AM all members on the range pack target frames away in the Shipping container.
11:15 AM shooting day is concluded and members are free to attend a braai after the shoots.
Members are asked to bring their own food and drinks, as well as cutlery and plates to the braai. The Braai and charcoal will be supplied by Tembo. Alcohol IS allowed BUT ONLY AFTER THE SHOOTING IS COMPLETE and you have moved to the braai area.Alcohol: strictly NO consumption of alcohol is allowed on the range if you caught consuming ANY alcoholic beverage THE PERSON OR PERSON WILL BE TOLD TO LEAVE THE ROOIKRAAL RANGE IMMEDIATELY.
Items to be brought to the shooting range are:
- Firearm licence/licences
- South African Hunters & Game Conservation membership Card
- Ear muffs are mandatory( no ear muffs no shooting)
- Eye protection is optional (BUT HIGHLY ADVISABLE)
- Rifle/Rifles zeroed in before they are brought to the range
- Ammunition for Firearms
- Shooting mat
- Three leg shooting sticks to hold rifle or hand gun
- Harris type or equivalent two leg bipod optional
- Shooting stand for the Jackal shoot
- Hat to keep the sun out of your face
- Cool box with drinking water and or soft drinks
- Money for range fees
- After the shoot we normally have a braai Please bring
Chair to sit on
Plates, knives and forks to use at the braai
Plastic bag for your rubbish
We as proud members of Tembo Branch would like to leave the Shooting Range in a better state than when we arrived.